actormann

Welcome to the thoughts, actions and the all-around happenings in a day in the life of Jim Lawson

Name:
Location: Springfield, VA

Friday, August 04, 2006

The Longest Week Of The Year



With the temperature being as hot as it has been over the past week it seemed like the weekend would never come. The incubator that my office is located in has decided that air-conditioning was a luxury. By early afternoon each day the unit on the roof gave out, I have been losing weight lately and the "sauna" effect at the office has been a great help. Today was the first day of the week that the air was on the entire day, thank God!
The lovely Michelle in my office came up with the idea this past spring (along with Rick) that it would be fun to start an office softball team and join the Gaithersburg Co-Ed League. There were enough of us that thought it was a great idea and the Tech Byters were born. I understand if you're thinking, "My, what a lovely name for a team from a technology association". Team names like this don't just grow on trees, they have to be coddled and nurtured. Names like I See Dead People and Deal Or No Deal were passed over. Fortunately, our team lived up to it's name. Our final record was a respectful 0 & 14. That's right, we just missed winning a game 14 times.
It was a struggle trying to get ten people on the field at one time, we seemed to have a problem getting women to play (I hope that doesn't reflect negatively on my future dating prospects). The ladies who stepped forward and up to the plate were Michelle who sacrificed many parts of her body for the team. Wendy, whose powerhouse arm behind the plate helped to keep our pitchers from wearing themselves out. Stephanie, our summer intern who on her first day of work found herself buying a pair of shorts to suit up for our first game. Mary Beth (chief), the queen of the field. Each week Mary Beth asked if she was needed that night hoping that the answer would be "no". Never-the-less, she showed up and slugged it out almost every week.
To round out our ladies we were lucky to get a ringer with the name of Debbie and my dear friend Mary was able to join us for the last three weeks. Mary and I have known each other for a long time and even have had a few kids together. How come I never knew that she could turn a double play??? she played great. At least I have a whole year for my body to heal before I need to hit the diamond again. I didn't get it as bad as some (sorry Rick) but for some reason my muscles aren't as young as I think they are.
Dinner Time!
After work I picked up my brother Bill to join my man Doug and I for dinner. We had a tough time deciding where to eat since we have varying likes and dislikes. We finally settle on Kingstown Blues located where else? Kingstown. Bill and I ordered drinks while waiting for Doug to arrive. I ordered my tried and true favorite the Sister Mary. It's a chicken bar-b-que sandwich with a side of slaw and a mess of home-made potato chips. Doug stayed with the pork bar-b-que and Bill went with the chicken fried steak. After a few hours of good conversation we all headed on our way.
After I arrived home I heard from my great friend Helen that she and her husband Bill and daughters Becca and Rachel were home visiting her parents in Springfield. They invited me to drop by and since I still had a few gifts to give them from my trip to the Middle East I thought it be a perfect way to end the night.
Helen and Bill are my daughter Dani's godparents. They have been fantastic friends for as long as I can remember. After the initial hellos Helen and I went down to the pool and just sat their talking away. By the time we were done with our conversation everyone else was in bed and it was past 1:00 am, oops. I need to add a huge congratulations to Becca for making the VARSITY Cheerleading squad as a freshman, the first girl to do so in her highschool. Rachel, not to be outdone, killed on the swim team in the County's finals. She took 10th in the breaststroke out of 50 and she is one of the youngest in her division! Look out Melissa Belote (look her up).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Online Universities
play blackjack
black jack online